Sunday, July 8, 2012

Arrival

I’m here! After a long, butt-numbing 22 hours or so we arrived at Incheon Airport on Thursday July 5th (we missed the 4th altogether >.<).  I won’t go into all the boring details of getting to Jungwon and settling in, but I will say that I learned something very interesting about Korea on the way.  Apparently, the GPSs that people use here have the ability to play TV, so, people watch TV while driving…no joke.  A friend told me this and I proceeded to stare into the windows of all the cars passing by, and there they were: TVs! 

Anyways, you’ll never believe what this campus looks like. It has a pool, hot spring, golf course and water park! But we were also told that Jungwon is an atypical campus, so don’t go transferring to Korea based on that ;)  Right now there are a handful of Korean students on campus for summer classes, but it’s pretty much empty.  Besides the expansive grounds, there’s one gigantic building for classes and dorms made entirely of marble: floors, walls, ceilings, everything!  And to conserve energy most of the lights in the building are off, so we walk through dark tunnels each day, and hear marbley echoes from every corner. 

Honestly, at the moment I still don’t quite feel like I’m in Korea since I’m surrounded by Americans and living in a large, empty private school in the mountains.  I’m sure that will change when Korean language classes start, and when I take my first walk through town alone and order some coffee. Keopi juseyo!   커피 주세요!

Well, that’s all for now. Tomorrow we’re all going for a visit to some schools where ETAs are teaching now to see what it’s like.  Business casual dress, 7:15 am, be there or be square!


Here's a picture of Jungwon University! (There were Cuckoo birds hanging out in the trees behind this picture)

 Oh, and I already found a can with T.O.P's face on it.  Times are good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment