Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hello! Goodbye!


Hello all! So how’s the language learning going?  I’m proud to say I can pretty much read Hangul, though I don’t think I could spell the words out correctly just by hearing them.  Anyway, I guess the next step here is to learn basic important things to say like: My name is__, Pleased to meet you, etc.  I thought I’d put down some phrases here that I’ve learned so far that are important. Oh, and I got them from this book: http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071768718, in case anyone wants to go a little more in depth.  So ready?

안녕하세요!  Annyeong-haseyo!  Hello

Hey, hey, could you read that?  If you studied Hangul try to read them before you read the Romanization.  I’ll put them vertically so you can scroll down and hide the English. Do it! J

저는입니다.

Jeoneun An (that’s me) imnida.

My name is Anne.

You can also say 이에요 (ieyo) instead of 입니다 (imnida) to introduce yourself. But imnida is more formal, so it’s best to just stick with formality.  Also, the character is sometimes pronounced like an "m," instead of "b/p," when it’s follow by an (“n” sound). Thus you say imnida, not ibnida or something else ridiculous.  Moving on!

이름이뭐여요?

Ireum-i mwo yeyo?

What’s your name?

(mwo) is also useful because it means “what.”  If you’ve ever watched kdrama you’ll notice people shouting Mwo? Mwo! Mwo?!?! all the time, so now you know. J

Next is this:

Ssi (pronounced kind of like “she”).  

This is what you tack on to the end of someone’s name when you want to be formal, it’s like Miss/Mrs/Ms and Mr.  So for my name it would be: 안씨, but you can be informal with me. J

And finally!
만나서반갑습나다

Manna so pan gap seumnida.

Pleased to meet you!

And then you talk a little and it’s time to go.   Here are the two ways to say goodbye:

안녕히가세요

(don’t forget to try to read them first! No cheating!)

Annyeong-hi gaseyo

Goodbye (when you are staying and the other is leaving).

안녕히계세요

Annyeong-hi gyeseyo

Goodbye (when you are leaving and the other is staying).

So there you go! Altogether it looks like this:

안녕하세요! 저는안입니다. 이름이뭐여요? 만나서반갑습나다. 안녕히가세요/안녕히계세요!

Annyeong-haseyo! Jeoneun An imnida. Ireum-i mwo yeyo? Manna so pan gap seumnida. Annyeong-hi gaseyo/annyeong-hi gyeseyo!

Hello! My name is Anne. What’s your name? It’s nice to meet you.  Goodbye!

Hooray!  So now I’ll throw in a couple more important words:

Thank you: There are three different ways to say this, starting from the most formal down to the one you use with friends.

감사합니다

Kamsahamnida (most formal)

고맙습니다

Gomap seumnida (less formal)


Gomawo (only use it with your close friends!)

Unfortunately I think “please” is more complicated so I will leave that out for now. 

And finally, for funzies: 미국사람입니다.

Miguk-saram imnida.

I’m American!

Okay that’s all I got so far. I’ll continue to post important basic words and phrases, but perhaps I’ll move on to cultural stuff next time.  So ta ta for now!

안녕히계세요!


1 comment: